- Acacia plantation along the trail
- Panoramic view of Tsuen Wan
- Camping location at Tin Fu Tsai
Section 9 is 6.3km in length and fairly easy to hike. It is just the continuation of a service road from Section 10, but from here onwards. There will be bikers and minivans using this road from both directions — better be careful of that.
📚Like this content? My book, MacLehose Trail for City Hikers, is now available in both paperback and Kindle in Amazon.com
Tai Lam Tunnel
This section can be reached from Tai Tong to Kai Hing Bridge at M174. From there hike until Tin Fu Tsai where Section 9 begins.
At this end, the hike starts without much fanfare — not even a sign to indicate that you are at Section 9, but you are actually standing right above Tai Lam Tunnel — a dual 3-lane tunnel connecting west Kowloon and the New Territories.
The better part of Section 9 is after M163, somewhere after the highest elevation at 548m. There, you can find a stretch of Acacia plantation (Acacia confusa) along the trail until almost the very end of it. You will be able to catch a glimpse of Tsuen Wan with benches already in place for you to take a break and admire the view. Do take this opportunity to rest and hydrate yourself, after all you have been hiking for more than 3km!
You will see the Country Park Management Office (Twisk Management Office) at the end of Section 9 at M156. You will even hear cars passing by before arriving at the office. The busy Route Twisk is just ahead of you. To head back to the city, cross the road and wait for bus no. 51 to take you back to Tsuen Wan West MTR Station or Tsuen Wan MTR Station.
For myself, I combined Section 9 and 10 together during my hike, the total distance was 22km and it took nearly 6 hours from start to finish. It can be physically demanding to do such a long hike, but this makes getting in and out so much easier. Do assess your own situation if you want to do the same. At Tin Fu Tsai, there is no immediate public transport, unless if you hike 7.7km to/from Tai Tong. This trail is really busy with bikers and vehicles so do be cautious about this.
- Distance: 6.3km
- Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
- Elevation: 240m/545m (min/max)
- Pole No.: From M168 to M157
- Getting In: Yuen Long MTR Station, take bus no. K66 and alight at Tai Tong, follow the Tai Tong Nature Trail to Kat Hing Bridge at M174, hike along to Tin Fu Tsai. Hiking distance is 7.7km, takes approximately 2.5hours and considered easy.
- Getting Out: At the Twisk Management Centre, cross the road and wait for bus no. 51 bound for Tsuen Wan West MTR Station.